(1) Be as specific as possible.
How would you describe your headache? Splitting? Throbbing? Dull ache?
Where is it located?
In this example, we're going to use a throbbing headache in the forehead.
Feel free to change the words to fit your situation.
(2) Notice how intense the feeling is and rate it from 0 to 10, with 10 being incredibly painful and 0 being no pain at all.
(3) Tap continuously on the Side of the Hand point and say three times, "Even though I have this throbbing headache in my forehead, I deeply and completely accept myself."
(4) Then go through the points, tapping on each while you repeat a reminder phrase. You can keep the wording the same or modify it on each point, whichever feels comfortable to you.
For these examples, we have changed the reminder phrase slightly at each point, but it is not necessary.
Top of the Head: This throbbing headache.
Eyebrow: I wish it would go away.
Side of the Eye: It's right in the center of my forehead.
Under the Eye: It makes it hard to focus.
Under the Nose: My head really hurts.
Chin: I hate having headaches.
Collarbone: This throbbing headache and all that it means to me.
Under the Arm: This headache in my forehead.
Top of the Head: I ask my body for relief.
(5) Take a deep breath.
(6) Notice how intense the pain is now and rate it from 0 to 10. You may want to repeat the same tapping sequence, using "remaining throbbing headache" as the reminder phrase.
Or you may find that the pain has changed or shifted. It may no longer throb, or it might have moved from your forehead to your neck.
The sensation of pain sometimes shifts as your body processes the stress or energy causing the pain. You can tap another round using the new location or sensation. As you chase the pain, you are clearing stress from your body.
As you do this, it can help to notice that you are taking your power back. You don't have to suffer through. You can reclaim your day and enjoy it!
Part of our brain evolved long ago. That primitive part of our brain is geared for survival. When we hurt, the primitive brain can get scared and overwhelmed. As we learn to soothe ourselves intentionally and become more self-empowered, we enhance our lives with freedom and ease.
Things that used to scare us feel less threatening. Problems that come up seem smaller and easier to handle. And we have more room and time to connect with those we love and create the world we want to live in.