Now, we'll combine the basic tapping sequence with tuning into your body-mind, speaking a truth about how you feel right now, and choosing how you'd like to feel.
(1) Tune-in. Where do you feel discomfort or distress? What does it feel like? Be as specific as possible. Ideally, include the location, the description of the feeling, and what the emotion is. ("Worried" is a bit too general. "This tight knot of worry in my forehead" is better.)
(2) Note your starting intensity (0-10), with 0 being no intensity and 10 being very intense: ____. (If you don't know, guess. It helps you tune into the feeling and how it does or does not shift after the tapping.)
(3) While continuously tapping on the side of the hand point, emphatically say your setup statement three times.
This statement typically includes the first part that speaks a truth about how you feel right now (from step 1), followed by a choice about how you'd like to feel.
In this example, we've chosen a statement of self-acceptance:
"Even though _______________ (I have this knot of worry in my forehead), I deeply and completely accept myself." (Repeat 3 times.)
(4) Tap on each of the points approximately 3-7 times, re-stating your issue (the reminder phrase) at each point: “This _______________ (knot of worry in my forehead)”.
Top of the Head… Eyebrow… Side of the Eye… Under the Eye… Under the Nose… Chin… Collarbone… Under the Arm… and back to the Top of the Head.
(5) Take a deep breath!
(6) Note your ending intensity (0-10), with 0 being no intensity (it's gone!) and 10 being very intense: ______. If it's above a "2," repeat the steps above. You can also make the following changes as you tap:
- Modify the setup statement in step (2) to "Even though I still have some of this _________, I deeply and completely accept myself."
- Change the reminder phrase to “Remaining ________.”
- Be more specific. What is the best way to describe what you are feeling now? The physical feeling or the emotion in the pain may move or change. That's progress! You've got your energy moving!
- Sometimes the intensity goes up. That's okay! It means you're tuning into the emotional energy with more presence. Keep tapping.